After the Connector returns the translated content from your translation provider to Sitecore, in- country marketers or reviewers can review the translation, as described in Reviewing Translated ContentThese reviewers can then send their post- translation updates to their translation technology or provider, who can then update the translation memory (TM) with these content updates. This means that the updates will be available to the translation provider for subsequent translations, which makes the translation process more efficient. Your translation provider’s TM (translation memory) server is a remote TM.
Your changes will be copied to the UpdateTM folder that resides on your translation provider’s FTP server.
Note: This feature is available only with the Content API FTP Connector. The location of the remote TM server is specified by the TNS_UpdateTMFolder setting in the FTP configuration file, which is configured by the Lionbridge Connector team.
To send updates to the translation provider’s translation memory (TM), you do one of the following:
- You send updates for a single item from the Content Editor, in the Translation Status tab for the item, as described in Updating a Remote TM for a Single Item.
Note: When you send updated content from a single item to update a remote TM, you can specify which field types to send.
- You send updates for multiple items in a single translation job from the Jobs tab in the Connector’s Translation Status window, as described in Updating a Remote TM for Multiple Items.
The Connectors sends an XML file to the translation technology or provider with the updates. This file includes:
- the original source content
- the original translated content
- the updated translated content
Best practices for updating a remote translation memory (TM):
- Make only small post- translation updates in the Sitecore authoring environment, and then use this feature to send those updates to the translation provider. If you require large updates or rewrites, discuss this directly with your translation provider to ensure that all changes are captured efficiently. In this scenario, the translation provider can redo the translations and redeliver the updates via the Connector.
- Create a primary review process for translation that captures most changes to translated content, so that the translation provider can update its TM directly. The secondary review process in Sitecore then captures only small and minor post- translation updates.
- A project manager at the translation provider should review the suggested updates and ensure that the translation memory is updated with these changes.
Important: Updating the remote TM is not an automatic process. The translation provider must review all the changes and transform them into a format to update the TM. The translation provider may charge a service fee for this work.