Welcome to the Lionbridge Connector for ServiceNow (“Connector”) version 1.0. The Connector enables you to automate sending and retrieving content from ServiceNow, which dramatically reduces the effort required to create, maintain, and publish Web content in multiple languages.
This the multi-page printable view of this section. Click here to print.
Welcome to the Connector
- 1: The Translation Lifecycle
- 2: How the Connector Helps You Manage Your Translation Lifecycle
- 3: Using this Guide
- 4: How to Contact Lionbridge Connector Support
1 - The Translation Lifecycle
The translation lifecycle is the broad process of selecting content, sending it out for translation, and then receiving the translated content back from translation.
This set of steps usually fits inside a larger, more general process called the content lifecycle, which is the process of creating, reviewing, editing, approving, and publishing content.
When you consider the translation lifecycle and the content lifecycle together, you have the global content value chain, which is the strategy for managing multilingual content.
The content lifecycle and the translation lifecycle are impacted by the workflow steps you implement in Sitecore to manage multilingual content.
Remember that localizing content is a subset of steps in the broader content lifecycle. This will improve your focus on key localization considerations, improve processes, and keep all content stakeholders included. Together, this results in better content management.
2 - How the Connector Helps You Manage Your Translation Lifecycle
The Lionbridge Connector for ServiceNow (“Connector”) is a plug-in module for ServiceNow. It provides a range of features and user interface enhancements in ServiceNow that enable you to select, send, monitor, and retrieve content for translation into any language ServiceNow supports.
These features automate the process, which dramatically reduces the effort and time required to export and re-import content that needs to be localized. This is very helpful when translating large volumes of content or ensuring that translated content is quickly re-imported to meet deadlines.
When you use the Connector, you manage your translation lifecycle entirely from within ServiceNow:
- The Connector exports your content from ServiceNow in either XML or HTML format.
- The Connector interacts with the Clay Tablet to deliver your content to your translation provider, based on routing rules that your company chooses and the Lionbridge Connector Team implements.
- When the translated content is ready, the Clay Tablet retrieves it from your translators and delivers it to the Connector.
- The Connector automatically re-imports the content into the correct location in ServiceNow.
You can then review, revise, reject, or publish the translated content as needed.
Note: Neither the Connector nor the Clay Tablet performs any translation. Similarly, the Lionbridge Connector Team does not provide any translation services. Your company chooses the translation provider that performs the translation.
3 - Using this Guide
Purpose of this guide
This guide describes how to use the Lionbridge Connector for ServiceNow (“Connector”) to manage your translation lifecycle. It describes how to send ServiceNow items for translation and receive them back from translation.
Who should use this guide
This guide is intended for content editors, project, marketing, localization or translation managers, or others who are responsible for creating, editing, or approving content for translation that resides in your ServiceNow installation. This guide is also useful for translation providers who receive content from your ServiceNow installation, because it describes your company’s translation management process.
What your company setup should be
This document assumes that:
- Your company already has a functioning instance of ServiceNow.
- Your company has an account and credentials for the Clay Tablet.
- The Lionbridge Connector for ServiceNow (“Connector”) has been implemented, configured, and tested on your ServiceNow installation.
If Lionbridge is your company’s translation provider, it assumes that Freeway is already set up for your company.
What you should already know
This document assumes that:
- You are familiar with the Connector’s configuration for your ServiceNow installation, and the reasons for choosing certain configuration options. This is important because your company’s configuration determines which features are available.
- You have a strong working knowledge of the ServiceNow Content Editor.
- You are familiar with the basic concepts of the ServiceNow Workflow features. This is crucial, because workflow is a core concept required to use the Connector.
- You are familiar with your company’s translation process and requirements.
- You have valid user credentials to log into ServiceNow.
- You have the required permissions to access the Connector functionality described in this guide.
Note: Not all the features described in this guide may be available. Feature availability depends on both your company’s Connector setup and the roles to which you are assigned. If you cannot access functionality that you need, contact your company’s ServiceNow administrator.
How this guide is organized
This guide contains the following chapters:
|Welcome to the Lionbridge Connector for ServiceNow||A brief description of the connector solution for ServiceNow and how it fits into the translation lifecycle. It also includes information about this guide and Lionbridge Connector Support contact information.|
|Getting Started with the Lionbridge Connector for ServiceNow||How to get started and an overview of the Lionbridge Connector for ServiceNow interface and key features.|
|Sending Content for Translation||How to create a job, add ServiceNow content to it, and send it out for translation.|
|Monitoring Translation States||How to monitor the translation state of jobs and content that you sent out for translation.|
|Reviewing, Approving, and Rejecting Translated Content||How to review translated content after it returns from the translation provider to ServiceNow.|
|Publishing Translated Content||How to publish translated content after it returns from the translation provider to ServiceNow.|
|Archiving and Unarchiving Jobs||How to perform post-translation tasks, including archiving and unarchiving jobs.|
How to find out more about the Lionbridge Connector for ServiceNow
For information on installing and configuring the Lionbridge Connector for ServiceNow, read the Lionbridge Connector for ServiceNow Installation and Configuration Guide.
This guide uses the following conventions:
|Bold||Highlights screen elements such as buttons, menu items, and fields.|
|Courier||Highlights input, file names, and paths.|
|Italics||Highlights terms to emphasize, variables, or document titles.|
|>||Indicates a menu choice. For example, “Navigate to Lionbridge Connector > Jobs > Create New.”|